Tuesday, October 04, 2011

The Nobel Prize in Physics

I have always considered myself as mediocre. I can manage in the world generally, but when it comes to complex things, I may take a minute or two to grasp. I am very interested in physics, and I want to know more and more. Mainly two subjects attract me the best: time travel and teleportation. I am eagerly waiting for the news of discovering a FTL particle to emerge from CERN, Gran Sasso Laboratory or anywhere else. So when I got the news of 2011 Nobel prize for Physics announcement, I wanted to know what it was given for this year. The reason has something to do with expansion of universe, which in my opinion (worth a shilling !) has something to do with my fav subjects. This is not something like inventing a two-dim material. So the I was curious, what are the reasons in this millennium, for which a person would get Nobel Prize? So I made a list from this page which gives me all the Physics Nobel Laureates of this millennium, and the reason they were awarded the most prestigious award in the world. So I wanted to share.  I would also like to share a funny comment made by Physicist Jim Al-Khalili of the University of Surrey, when he was asked for a reaction regarding the stunning announcement of having clocked elementary particles called neutrinos travelling Faster Than Light.
Reactions to this tricky time-of-flight experiment have been mixed. Words like “flabbergasted” and “extraordinary” are circulating, but often with a strong note of caution. Physicist Jim Al-Khalili of the University of Surrey was so convinced the finding is the result of measurement error, he told the BBC’s Jason Palmer that “if the CERN experiment proves to be correct and neutrinos have broken the speed of light, I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV."




No comments: