Thursday, February 24, 2011

First time lucky

Do you know, my friends have e-patted my back for the last post?. I am flattered, and overwhelmed. One of them is from Chennai, currently in Bangalore. he does not understand bangla, so he praised the prose. Thanks to you all. BTW, this is the link to my blog. I am giving it here, so Please don't mind.

Anyway, everybody knows that to rhyme is not a crime, if you are doing it at the right time. I am not someone prime, but I know a little lime in this mundane life is surely sublime, and it does not cost you a dime. Hey, its just rhyme!

I am always blaming myself for not reading much of English literature. All I read is Jeffrey Archer short stories, Erle Stanley Gardner courtroom mysteries, Lee Child action packed thrillers, Dan Brown, even I tried one Mills and Boon (M&B). It was a little too good and mushy, you know.

What I am trying to say is,  when will I start liking English literature? I tried Guy de Maupassant, did not like it, Jerome K Jerome is hilarious but too predictable. Only thing I read and can be called literature is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. And I liked it too.

Even with this little knowledge, I can see that its not easy for me to read something because its famous. I gotta like it. So I am taking up a mission. I am going to read every synopsis of every book which was wriiten by the winners of nobel, man booker and pulitzer. If I like any of them, I am going to read it. Enough with this thriller trash!

But there is a problem, I am lazy and I like to read, parallel. If I want to have the pleasure of reading, I will loose the pleasure of leisure, being a lazy. I have to look for the books, because they are not very easily available. If I go with my nature, then I will be deprived of the other pleasure, reading.

On that note, my first task on this mission is to finish the Famous book Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I got it here.The famous phrase 'catch-22' has emerged from this novel itself. In Heller's own words:
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
I am also looking at the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels, and Time magazine's All time 100 Novels, even after the prized authors' works. Once this mission is complete, I can stop reading literary trash and go back to original trash!

And now, again, I am putting up one more of my songs. Its about the moment she said Yes! (too much M&B?).

 
আমি ভাবতাম কথারা আমার বন্ধু,
দুচোখে যখন তাকালে গোলাপি শরমে-
শব্দেরা সব হাসছিলো দূরে দাঁড়িয়ে
স্তব্ধতা শুধু বেড়ে উঠছিলো চরমে ||

বুকের উঠোনে রোদে রিমঝিম বৃষ্টি-
শিউলিরা ঝরে ঝরে পড়ে টাপ্‌ টুপ্‌ টাপ্‌
কথাগুলো শুধু বড্ড যে বাগী বেহায়া-
তবু কইলো না কিছু, রয়ে গেল চুপচাপ ||

তুমি তো ভাবছো এ কেমন বোকা কবি যে,
এই মধুক্ষণ কত প্রতীক্ষা পেরিয়ে-
চুপ করে কেন বাক্যবাগীশ বন্ধু?
মনের কথাটা আসছেনা কেন বেরিয়ে ||

আমি তো বলেছি যতটুকু ছিলো বলবার,
তাই সে এখনো আমাকে রয়েছে জড়িয়ে-
সব কথা, সব শব্দেরা নিঃশব্দে-
ঠোঁট থেকে ঠোঁটে আলগোছে গেছে ছড়িয়ে ||

Keep me posted about my post. I am afraid that for you, I am losing my laziness !

No comments: